Pasadena Truck Accident Attorneys
Helping Victims in Pasadena & Glendale
At Tedford & Associates in Pasadena, our truck accident attorneys have been proving negligence in trucking accident cases to gain maximum compensation. Since 1994, we have been representing victims of trucking accidents in the Los Angeles County area. When an 18-wheeler, semi or other commercial trucking vehicle, including a FedEx or UPS delivery truck, collides with another vehicle, injuries happen on all sides.
Our job is to prove that the truck driver was negligent. We must demonstrate to the court that:
- The driver owed you a duty of care to obey traffic laws and federal commercial trucking laws and to drive safely.
- The driver breached this duty.
- The driver was therefore negligent.
- This negligence directly caused your injuries.
- The driver owes you compensation.
In a trucking accident case, multiple parties may be at fault, including the truck driver and the trucking company employer. Cases can be complex and require the assistance of an experienced Pasadena truck accident lawyer. We have been successfully handling truck accident cases for over 38+ years and can ably argue your case in court. We always seek the maximum compensation for injury victims. As a former auto accident victim, Attorney Tedford knows the importance of having sufficient funds to cover present and future medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
Types of Trucking Accident Injuries
The sheer weight of a commercial truck almost guarantees injuries in a crash. Even if the truck is moving at a slow speed, devastating injuries may occur that require extensive recovery time, leaving a family without financial support. In some cases, the accident victim may never be able to enjoy the same quality of life as before the accident.
The following are the most common types of accident injuries:
With the help of Tedford & Associates, you may be able to obtain compensation not just for present medical expenses, but also for long-term disability and long-term medical care. It is important to think toward the future and your future needs and the needs of your family.
With a team of medical professionals working alongside us, we determine an economic value for your injuries and relentlessly pursue the parties who harmed you to get maximum compensation. In cases where a loved one has died as a result of the accident, we can bring a wrongful death suit to help compensate you for your loss.
Causes of Trucking Accidents
Truck drivers must follow state and federal regulations regarding their driving. Drivers must be licensed to operate a commercial vehicle. State and federal laws also dictate safe and proper cargo loading. Trucker behavior greatly contributes to accidents, according to a study by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Common causes of trucking accidents include:
- Improperly loaded trucks - When an unbalanced load occurs, the truck may jackknife or overturn. Also, cargo not properly secured may shift, and debris could obstruct the road and fall directly onto other vehicles.
- Distracted driving - Texting, making phone calls and otherwise using a cell phone can distract a trucker. So can eating, drinking and adjusting radio dials and other dashboard systems. Distracted drivers, turning their attention from the road for even an instant, can cause significant harm to themselves and others.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs - A trucker driving while drunk or under the influence of drugs faces criminal and civil charges. The legal threshold for commercial truck drivers is half that of others. They violate federal law if their blood alcohol content measures more than .04 percent.
- Speeding - Of all factors leading to a trucker's loss of control, traveling too fast for road conditions tops the list.
- Driver fatigue - Truck drivers must rest for eight hours after driving for 10 hours. Although this is federal law, they often drive through the night, logging excessively long work hours.
- Poorly maintained vehicles - Federal law states that trucks must be regularly inspected and properly maintained. However, the trucker's zeal to meet delivery deadlines often overrides common sense and can lead to unstable and unworthy trucks on the roads.
- Vehicle defects - Faulty brakes and tire blowouts can cause a truck to overturn, jackknife or veer out of control, colliding with others on the road. When vehicle defects are at the root of an accident, we can hold the manufacturers and distributors accountable.
- Poor road conditions - Road construction, road obstructions, and weather conditions can all contribute to poor visibility and may require the truck driver to maneuver quickly, which is not easily done with an 18-wheeler.
We know the frustrations that come from trying to get a sufficient settlement from insurance companies. We can help you get the compensation you deserve for injuries sustained in a truck accident.
Overloaded Truck Accidents
Semi-trucks and tractor-trailers are large and move at high speeds over great distances. The more the truck carries, the more difficult it is to maneuver or stop, especially if a collision is imminent. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA) sets the limit for commercial trucks at a total weight of 80,000 pounds. Cargo limit regulations are meant to prevent accidents and keep other motorists, passengers, and pedestrians safe.
Trucks carrying cargo over the maximum capacity as regulated can cause devastating accidents, injuries, and fatalities. In many cases, truck companies overload their vehicles to generate more profit or meet deadlines faster. However, if a trucking company or driver is negligent in loading their trucks, injury victims can pursue monetary compensation.
Contact Us for a Risk-Free, Complimentary Consultation
Tedford & Associates represents victims of trucking accidents throughout Pasadena, Glendale, and other Los Angeles County communities. We hold negligent truckers, trucking companies and their insurance companies accountable for our clients' injuries. We offer appointments during standard business hours and can also accommodate morning, evening, and weekend hours.
Motorcycle Crash $2,750,000.00
Disability Discrimination $1,000,000.00
Construction Accident: Crane Injuries $995,000.00
Insurance Bad Faith $900,000.00
Rear-end Auto Accident: Neck and Toe Injury 850,000.00
Dog Bite $340,000.00
I-5 Tunnel Crash: Truck Accident $300,000.00
Police Brutality: Use of Taser $225,000.00
Rear-end Auto Accident: Lumbar Injury $185,000.00
Dog Bite $184,000.00
If I could give 10 stars, I would.- James H.
They are the best!!!!- Adelle A.
He is very sharp and can handle complex litigation.- Sammy D.
He takes every case personally and fights for his clients with skill, passion and tireless effort.- Bill A.
Having Tedford and Adrianos on my side felt like having genuine people who adhered to ethics and due diligence.- Tarika S.