Pasadena Car Accident Lawyers
Don't Face the Insurance Companies Alone
A car accident can cause permanent and even fatal consequences for victims. In the event of an accident, it is imperative to hold the liable party responsible for their actions by filing a claim that demands just compensation for the victim’s injuries. If you or someone you love has been injured under such circumstances, get the skilled representation that you deserve with Tedford & Associates.
Since 1994, our firm has provided the Pasadena area with quality legal representation in car accident claims. We believe that every injured individual has the right to pursue compensation for their injuries, and we utilize our vast knowledge of personal injury law to uphold your rights in every way possible.
We handle a wide range of car accident cases, including:
- Distracted driving accidents
- Drunk driving accidents
- Head-on and rear-end collisions
- Hit-and-run accidents
How Our Pasadena Car Accident Attorneys Can Help
You have already been the victim once after a car accident. If you attempt to negotiate with insurance companies in the aftermath without legal representation, there is a good chance you will end up being the victim twice. No matter how friendly or helpful your insurance adjuster may be, their primary objective will ultimately be to find ways to save their employer money and limit your potential compensation. You need a team of advocates by your side who can guard your interests and fight for the full amount you need to cover your losses.
At Tedford & Associates, our team can assist you with all aspects of your case, including:
- Helping you get the quality medical care you need, when you need it
- Thoroughly analyzing the events leading up to and shortly following your crash to accurately determine fault
- Collecting relevant evidence to your crash, including police reports, medical documentation, eyewitness testimony, and vehicle "black box" data
- Consulting with experts to support your claims and strengthen your case
- Calculating your full losses, both economic and non-economic
- Handling all correspondence and negotiations with insurance adjusters on your behalf
- If necessary, representing your interests in court to secure the compensation you need
California Is an At-Fault State
California operates under a traditional tort system when it comes to car accidents, meaning that drivers (or more accurately, their insurance companies) are financially responsible for any injuries and damages they cause to others in the event of a collision. While some other states require drivers to first turn to their own insurance coverage for compensation after a wreck, in California, injured drivers have the right to sue each other for damages without restriction.
Most car accident claims are based on the negligence of the driver who caused the accident. Determining fault will typically require your attorney to analyze evidence such as accident scene photographs, vehicle damage, video surveillance footage, cell phone records, and police reports to determine which driver or drivers were responsible for the crash.
Examples of negligent acts in a car accident case include:
- Driving while distracted by a cell phone, such as texting
- Eating or drinking while driving
- Changing the radio
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Road rage, such as racing, tailgating, cutting other drivers off, ignoring signs, assaulting other drivers, and threatening other drivers
- Reckless driving, such as speeding, stopping suddenly, running red lights, and changing lanes suddenly
Collisions may sometimes be caused by dangerous defects or malfunctioning parts in a vehicle. For example, a car may have been manufactured with faulty brakes, causing the driver to lose control and crash. Other accident cases may stem from defective roads and highways, such as potholes or a poorly-constructed shoulder.
Determining fault in the event of a car accident is not always a cut-and-dry process as multiple parties may share some blame for a collision. An attorney can review the circumstances of your case and ensure all responsible parties are held accountable for your injuries.
California Car Accident Statistics
Car accidents are the leading cause of unintentional injury deaths in California. According to preliminary data from the National Safety Council, 1,535 motor vehicle deaths were reported in the first six months of 2019 in California. This is slightly less than the 1,538 motor vehicle deaths reported in the first half of 2018, and a nearly 3% increase over the 1,492 deaths in the first half of 2017.
Did you know that:
- California accounts for 11% of car accident deaths in the United States
- Car accident deaths in California have increased by nearly 24% since 2013
- Los Angeles County is the most dangerous county in California for car accident fatalities and injuries
- 11% of fatal crashes in California involve a driver under the influence of some type of drug
- 80% of crashes involve some level of driver distraction or inattention
- 74.8% of drivers in California admit to using a cell phone while driving
What to Do After a Car Accident in Pasadena
If you have been involved in a car accident, it is important that you remain calm. While you may be shaken up immediately following the crash, you must stay focused and be mindful of your actions, which may have an impact on your ability to seek compensation.
After a car accident, be sure to:
- Stay at the scene and render aid to all injured parties – never drive away!
- Call an ambulance if anyone needs immediate medical attention.
- Call the police and report the crash, even if it seems minor.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with all involved drivers.
- Gather the contact information of any witnesses to the crash, as well as any responding police.
- Take photographs of all damage and injuries.
- Never admit fault and avoid making any unsure statements.
- Seek medical attention immediately following the crash, even if you initially feel fine.
- Report the crash to your insurance company.
- Keep all documents related to your accident, including medical invoices, vehicle repair estimates, etc.
- Contact our Pasadena car accident attorneys and explore your legal options.
A single-vehicle accident typically only involves one driver. While it may be easy to shift blame onto the driver, more often than not, these accidents occur due to circumstances outside of the driver’s control. According to statistics from the National Highway Safety Administration, single-vehicle accidents caused more than 60% of deadly car accidents in California.
Some of the most common causes of single-vehicle accidents include:
- Drunk drivers
- Slippery or slick roads
- Inclement weather
- Road construction
- Defective or poorly maintained roadways
If you were injured in a single-vehicle accident but believe that a defect or someone else’s negligence was to blame, we encourage you to consult with our Pasadena car accident lawyers for guidance. You may still have a claim for compensation depending on the underlying cause of your collision.
California Car Accident Statute of Limitations
Like most personal injury claims, car accident claims in California are subject to a "statute of limitations" which sets a limit on how much time you have to pursue legal action. Under California Code of Procedure section 335.1, car accident injury lawsuits must be filed within two years of the date of the collision. Property damage lawsuits are given a slightly longer three-year window.
Filing a civil claim after the statute of limitations has expired will usually result in your claim being dismissed, thereby permanently preventing you from recovering damages. For this reason, it is important you act quickly after an accident and give your attorney as much time as possible to ensure you are compliant with all relevant deadlines.
It is important to note that this deadline does not apply to insurance claims related to car accidents. Most insurance companies require policyholders to file a claim within a few days of a collision to be eligible for coverage.
Why Choose Tedford & Associates?
Put simply, our attorneys fight tooth and nail for each and every client who walks through our doors. With an emphasis on compassion for our clients and a commitment to producing positive results, we have successfully handled numerous personal injury cases. A car accident injury can be an incredibly serious and traumatic experience. That is why we provide each and every client with the respect to tell us their story.
However, as many of our clients must deal with medical issues following an injury, we make sure not to overwhelm anyone with the legal process. When we have gained a comprehensive understanding of your situation, our attorneys can begin to form a case that effectively holds the liable party responsible.
Other benefits of choosing Tedford & Associates include:
- 38+ years of combined experience
- Free consultations
- No fees unless we win
- Se habla español
- We will give you our personalized attention
Don't wait to take action. Call our office at (626) 325-0142 to speak to a Pasadena car accident attorney about your situation and set up a free consultation.
- How to Document a Car Accident
- The Importance of Receiving Medical Attention after a Car Accident
- Should I Say "Sorry" After a Car Accident?
- How Are Car Accident Claims Settled?
- Are Road Rage Accidents Covered by Insurance?
- Reporting a Car Accident in California
- Mistakes That Can Harm Your Car Accident Claim
- Who Is Liable for Car Accidents Caused by Sun Glare?
- How Do Pre-Existing Conditions Affect Car Accident Claims?
Motorcycle Crash $2,750,000.00
Disability Discrimination $1,000,000.00
Construction Accident: Crane Injuries $995,000.00
Insurance Bad Faith $900,000.00
Rear-end Auto Accident: Neck and Toe Injury 850,000.00
Dog Bite $340,000.00
I-5 Tunnel Crash: Truck Accident $300,000.00
Police Brutality: Use of Taser $225,000.00
Rear-end Auto Accident: Lumbar Injury $185,000.00
Dog Bite $184,000.00
If I could give 10 stars, I would.- James H.
They are the best!!!!- Adelle A.
He is very sharp and can handle complex litigation.- Sammy D.
He takes every case personally and fights for his clients with skill, passion and tireless effort.- Bill A.
Having Tedford and Adrianos on my side felt like having genuine people who adhered to ethics and due diligence.- Tarika S.