Pasadena Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Getting Compensation for Accident Victims
At Tedford & Associates, our Pasadena motorcycle accident attorneys understand the risk that bikers face. Even with safety helmets, they ride exposed to the elements without the benefit of airbags and thousands of pounds of protective metal around them.
In 2011, the California Highway Patrol reported 24 fatal motorcycle crashes and 2,637 injuries in Los Angeles County, compared with California totals of 347 fatal crashes and 9,628 injuries. And the state ranks second after Texas in the number of fatalities caused by auto accidents and other motor vehicle collisions.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries & Deaths Are Common
The following are typical injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident:
- Death - A motorcyclist has a higher risk of having a fatal accident than any other motor vehicle operator.
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) - California law requires a biker to wear a helmet. Anyone who doesn't increases the odds of sustaining a TBI by 40 percent, often with tragic consequences. A TBI makes it difficult and in some cases impossible to perform everyday activities, such as eating and talking. Medical treatment may be extensive and long-term.
- Paralysis - Injury to the spinal cord and nervous system can result in paralysis of the lower body, known as paraplegia, or paralysis of the legs and arms, known as quadriplegia.
- Head and neck injuries - About 20 percent of motorcycle accident injuries affect the head and neck. These injuries may lead to more dire conditions, including spinal cord damage, paralysis and permanent brain damage.
- Burns - Medical treatment is necessary to prevent infection, and burns may require a dermatologist's or a plastic surgeon's attention.
- Severed limbs - The impact of the crash could separate a limb from the body or an impacted limb may need to be surgically removed later through amputation. Either way, loss of limb is traumatic, and the biker may require long-term medical and psychological care.
- Broken bones - Fractures could prevent you from returning to work and performing everyday activities.
- Road rash - Even wearing long pants and a jacket may not protect you against skin abrasions. While they may not seem like much, they can become infected without proper medical treatment.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
California law allows lane-splitting for motorcyclists. They are legally allowed to ride between lanes when traffic is slow or stopped, but only in a safe and prudent manner. California's roads can be a challenge to even the most experienced biker, but riders of all levels can be involved in a crash.
The most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
In some cases, the motorcyclist may be at fault. Statistics from the California Highway Patrol indicate that 27 percent of bikers killed in a crash in 2010 had a blood alcohol content (BAC) above the legal limit. Also in that year, 79 percent of motorcyclists involved in fatal collisions and 57 percent involved in injury collisions were determined to be at fault.
Vehicle Defects & Other Products Liability Claims
In cases of vehicle defects, we can file a products liability claim on your behalf and hold manufacturers and others, if applicable, responsible for the faulty products. In cases of wrongful death, we can file a wrongful death suit for surviving family members.
We have been successfully representing victims of motorcycle crashes for nearly 38+ years. We work with our team of forensics experts and other accident specialists to determine fault. We are fully committed to getting you the maximum compensation for medical treatment of long-term disabilities, lost wages, and pain and suffering. While we always review settlement offers with you, insurance companies usually offer much less than you deserve. In those situations, we go to court and present a solid case for our position.
We Are Here to Help
When you need a Pasadena motorcycle accident lawyer with the skills and knowledge to get favorable results, reach out to Tedford & Associates in Pasadena. We have a convenient Pasadena location to handle motorcycle accident cases. You pay no attorney fees until we recover for you. In addition to our standard office hours, we offer evening, early morning and weekend appointments for your convenience.
Contact us for a free initial consultation if you were injured in a motorcycle accident.
Motorcycle Crash $2,750,000.00
Disability Discrimination $1,000,000.00
Construction Accident: Crane Injuries $995,000.00
Insurance Bad Faith $900,000.00
Rear-end Auto Accident: Neck and Toe Injury 850,000.00
Dog Bite $340,000.00
I-5 Tunnel Crash: Truck Accident $300,000.00
Police Brutality: Use of Taser $225,000.00
Rear-end Auto Accident: Lumbar Injury $185,000.00
Dog Bite $184,000.00
If I could give 10 stars, I would.- James H.
They are the best!!!!- Adelle A.
He is very sharp and can handle complex litigation.- Sammy D.
He takes every case personally and fights for his clients with skill, passion and tireless effort.- Bill A.
Having Tedford and Adrianos on my side felt like having genuine people who adhered to ethics and due diligence.- Tarika S.