With 2016 coming to a close and 2017 knocking on the door, many people are looking to stay firm in their New Year’s resolutions and make positive changes for the coming year. This time of year is traditionally a time of reflecting on the past and looking forward towards the future with hope. Unfortunately, New Year’s celebrations also frequently involve heavy drinking, leading to devastating accidents. As such, it is important that we remember to make safety a priority this year and take steps to reduce our risk of becoming another statistic.
The following 5 tips can help keep you safe in the New Year:
- Name a designated driver: If you are attending a New Year’s party or are hosting one yourself, make sure everyone has a way to get home safe. Before you attend a party or before your guests arrive, be sure to designate a single person to stay sober and get everyone home safe. Whether it is you or another guest who assumes this responsibility, taking the time to plan ahead will help protect both the lives of your guests and everyone else on the road.
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages: Some of your guests, especially those who are acting as designated drivers, may prefer to abstain from drinking alcohol. Likewise, it is important that your guests periodically drink water and other non-alcoholic beverages to mitigate the effects of alcohol. Be sure to have sodas, sparkling ciders, smoothies, and other soft drinks on hand for this reason.
- Know your limit: Keep an eye on how much you and your guests are drinking and cease serving alcohol to anyone who is visibly intoxicated. Similarly, it is a good practice to cease serving alcohol entirely two hours before the end of the night. This will allow you to metabolize the alcohol in your system and sober up before driving.
- Take your guests’ keys: A popular and excellent practice that many social hosts use is to have everyone hand over their keys at the door when they arrive. This will help to ensure that nobody leaves your home while intoxicated and protect you from liability as a host.
- Allow your guests to spend the night: If anyone is visibly intoxicated, offer them the opportunity to stay in your guest room, on your couch, or even in a tent in the backyard if necessary. Do not let anyone get behind the wheel while intoxicated!
At Tedford & Associates, our Pasadena car accident attorneys wish everyone a safe and fun New Year. Unfortunately, no amount of planning can ever truly prepare us for the negligent actions of another person. If you or a loved one should be injured in a collision with a drunk driver, our team of advocates can provide the powerful legal representation you need to guard your rights and maximize your eligible compensation.Dial (626) 325-0142 or contact our firm online today to find out more about how we can help.