How Do I Recover Compensation After a Hit and Run Accident?

Being injured in a hit and run accident is one of the most jarring incidents that a person can experience. Beyond the typical struggles of dealing with a car accident, hit and run collision victims must attempt to identify the at-fault driver or navigate their claim without a liable driver present.

It is stressful to handle a hit and run accident claim. Luckily, there are options for recovering the expenses caused by these types of collisions, and you don’t need to face this hardship alone. Our attorneys are available to guide you if you or a loved one has been injured in a hit and run accident.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance

Although California is an at-fault state for car accidents, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company. Depending on your policy, you may have personal injury protection in addition to liability coverage.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance is a type of policy that provides coverage to people who are injured in car accidents caused by drivers who do not have insurance or do not have enough insurance coverage to pay for the damages of an accident.

This type of insurance coverage can also help in cases of hit and run accidents. When there is no driver, and therefore no insurance company to file a claim with, uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance can be used to provide coverage.

Third-Party Claims

Following a hit and run accident, it’s possible that the driver will never be identified. However, there may be other parties that were liable for your accident. Issues such as road conditions and mechanical problems may have contributed to the collision. If so, you can file a claim against the other liable parties.

What You Can Do if the Hit and Run Driver is Identified

The person who committed a hit and run and caused your injuries may eventually be found. If this happens, your claim should be able to proceed similarly to any car accident claim. However, it is possible that the driver will not be insured. If this is the case, you would still have the option to file a claim with your own insurance company or against a third party.

The Tedford & Associates legal team can answer your questions and guide you through your car accident claim. We will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.

Send us a message or call (626) 325-0142 to schedule a free consultation with our lawyers.


Let's Get Started

Contact Our Team
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.